Thanksgiving is the holiday to share with friends, family and your furry companions. Share love, memories, laughter and most importantly- FOOD! Our homemade treats for dogs are quick, easy, and guess what else…they’re made with Thanksgiving leftovers !! So give in to that adorable begging face and sneak a yummy treat that they will be sure to love…but sneak it after the humans have finished eating.
Treats for Dogs- Ingredients
1 lb shredded leftover turkey (you may wish to pop it into a food processor or just chop into fine pieces with a knife)
1 sweet potato
1 cup quick cook oats
Directions for Homemade Meatball Treats:
- Microwave the sweet potato for 8-10 mins (poke 4-5 holes in the potato first). Set aside and allow to cool. (Alternatively it can also be baked in the oven for 35-40 mins while your family’s meal is cooking)
- Once cool, peel the skin from the sweet potato and scoop the inside into a large bowl
- Add the egg , oats and turkey to the sweet potato bowl
- Mix until well combined (if you’re using any plate leftovers, wash hands thoroughly when you’ve finished)
- Spray a large cookie tray with non stick spray
- Now get to rolling! Roll the mixture into golf ball sized balls.
- Place in the oven at 350 degrees. Cook for 15-20 mins
- Allow to cool.
Involve the kids! They can learn about responsible pet ownership and cooking all at the
same time. Remind them that while sneaking pets scraps under the table is great in the moment, it can cause their pet to gain weight or get a tummy ache. If they want to pass something off…have them pass the football…and invite the dog into the yard to play along!
From everyone here at Animal Medical of New City, I’m Claudia your pet’s favorite veterinary nurse. Happy Thanksgiving!!!